In 1919-1920, Harold Sampson was hired by the Interstate Company to design a nine-hole golf course. In the original design, the course was separated with four holes to the north of the railroad tracks, while five holes were constructed on the south side.
As an accomplished professional golf teacher himself, Sampson was not interested in designing a “championship” style golf course, so his philosophy was simple — to create a golf course for everyone to enjoy.
The course consisted of elevated greens placed higher than the tees and fairways leading immediately to the tee. The signature ninth hole, which closely resembled the one at Wawona Golf Course, was indisputably the most rewarding to play. The hole was lined with pine groves, which directionally outlined the shot onto the fairway. Golfers sank the final hole while standing in the shadow of the majestic Lodge.